Minecraft 1.3 will officially arrive on the first day of August. But for those of you who want to try it out ahead of time, Mojang posted the information on how to acquire and set up the prerelease today.
In celebration of 1.3, Mojang is encouraging people to grab the prerelease and record a Minecraft 1.3 commercial to enter into their current contest. The top three videos will be featured on Mojang’s YouTube page.
For those of you wondering what you will see in 1.3, here is a partial list:
- The game now runs an internal server in single-player mode
- The single-player server can be shared on LAN, with LAN server detection
- Made it possible to use client-side commands by enabling cheats (this is defaulted as disabled for old worlds)
- Added an optional “bonus chest” to get started quicker
- It’s now possible to trade with villagers. Added emeralds as a currency
- You gain enchantment orbs from other tasks than just destroying monsters. Max enchantment level has been decreased to 30
- Servers can automatically suggest and distribute texture packs
- Added new world map elements (does not need a new map, but they’ll only appear in new areas)
- Added cocoa beans
- Added an Ender chest
- Added tripwire
- Stairs and levers can be placed up-side-down
- Wooden logs can be placed sideways
For the full list as well as the download information for the prerelease, hit up Mojang’s latest blog post.