ArenaNet’s Leah Rivera has published a blog post giving us new details about guild missions which will be added to Guild Wars 2 next week during the February game update.
The goal of guild missions is to give guild members a reason (besides WvW) to play together. Guild merits are also being added as a reward system along with an expanded unlock feature, which will add a sense of progression. These systems will lay the ground work for future guild-related content in the future.
Guild missions are researched, unlocked, and spawned by a specific guild, but since the content appears in the open world, other players on your server can join in on the action. This allows even small guilds to participate in missions if they can enlist the help of other players and everyone gets rewarded.
The five different guild missions being added on February 26 are described as follows:
- Guild Bounty – Your guild is tasked with tracking down and capturing various targets for the Orders. These people are wanted for a variety of reasons and have all sorts of tricks up their sleeves to resist arrest!
- Guild Trek – Think you know Tyria? Well the Tyrian Explorer’s Society has a challenge for you! Find the list of locations before time runs out.
- Guild Challenge – These challenges leverage our existing event system but are specifically geared to require multi-group, coordinated play to succeed. So gather your guild and see if you’re up to the challenge!
- Guild Rush – Test your skills with a mad dash over harrowing terrain, traps, and other hidden dangers. Just remember, there’s safety in numbers!
- Guild Puzzle – It’s a puzzle and a jumping challenge all in one! This mission type requires multi-group coordination as well as individual jumping skills to get to the treasure at the end.
Everyone gets rewards for participating in a guild mission. Anyone participating in the guild mission will be awarded with personal awards and guild members will receive guild merits. Merits will be used to unlock new guild upgrades such as combo banners, gold find bonuses, reduced waypoint costs, and other missions.
The video released on guild missions shows striking new environments to explore and who wouldn’t hop on the chance to run around with your guild as a chickens in a guild rush? Seems like a win to me.
What do you think about the guild missions coming to Guild Wars 2? Let us know what you think in the comments below.