Happy birthday, City of Heroes!
The venerable superhero MMO turned eight years old on Saturday, having originally launched on April 28, 2004. Paragon Studios commemorated the event with a nostalgic piece on its website that looked at promotional videos past and present, as well as offering up some impressive statistics:
- Over 43 million characters created
- Over 500,000 accounts have reached max level (50)
- Almost 300,000 Super Groups created
- 12 trillion Influence held by Scrappers alone
- Over 15,000 costume pieces, which can be used to create over 10 Trecedillion (10^42) costumes in the game today
- Almost 4,000 powers in the game today
- Over 3 million individual Super Packs cards redeemed since this February
With that much heroic action, one wonders why the bad guys even keep coming back. As someone who was there at (nearly) the beginning, it’s amazing to see how far the game’s come.
And it’s still going strong. “LFG for task force!”
Here’s to another eight years of keeping the streets of Paragon City safe!