PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training and More
The biggest new addition to the game is a VR training center, where new and experienced soldiers can find their footing before being thrust into the thick of battle. All weapons and vehicles are unlocked, with indoor and outdoor shooting ranges for players to test their skills.
While in the VR training area, players can’t harm each other or become weapons-locked, but, obviously, no experience or stats are accumulated.
Other major changes include:
- Most explosives now do greater damage near their source but the damage tapers off more quickly. No more “I’m sure I was outside that grenade’s blast radius…”
- Similarly, most vehicle weapons with explosive rounds have had their blast radii reduced.
- Total ammo capacity has been increased for nearly all weapons. The only listed exception is the Terran Republic T32 Bull, which had its ammo capacity decreased to 240.
- All vehicles had their torque increased, which should result in higher top speeds when driving up inclines.
- “Removed a non-functional capture point from the Esamir Biolabs.” “Guys, we’ve been standing here for 10 minutes, why isn’t this damn thing flipping?”
- The minimap can now be zoomed manually, by use of the ] and [ keys.
- A Flash can now carry a passenger, who can use his personal weapons.
- The respawn screen has been reworked, merging with the map screen’s capabilities and listing respawn locations on the left.
- “Vehicle horns should now be able to be heard from significantly greater distances.” BEEP BEEP!
A VR training center has been one of the most-requested features for PlanetSide 2 since its launch, and has always been described as a top priority for the dev team. Does its addition make you more likely to check the game out, or to get back into it if you played before?
You can read the full patch notes here.