Gary Gannon sat down with Blizzard Lead Quest Designer Dave Kosak today to discuss the recently released trailer for World of Warcraft Patch 5.2: The Thunder King, getting a behind the scenes look at the processes behind the trailer. As Blizzard Entertainment’s lead quest designer for World of Warcraft, Dave Kosak oversees the development of all quest content for the game and its expansions, as well as contributing to the overall fiction of the game world. The Gamebreaker crew took this opportunity to get their red shirts on and ask Dave about the lore of patch 5.2 and beyond!
- Dave Kosak confirms that Patch 5.2: The Thunder King is the last patch where attention is focused on Pandaria – by eliminating the Thunder King we’re eliminating the final threat to the new continent, and from this point forward the Horde and Alliance conflict is really going to ramp up as we take the fight back to Azeroth!
- We discuss the process behind the trailer: How did it all come together? Gary gets the inside information on what goes into making a trailer, what Blizzard hoped to achieve with it, and, of course, how they pulled out select parts from Patch 5.2: The Thunder King to show off, whilst also putting it all into a poem, written specially by Dave and the Quest Team!
- We talk about Lei Shen, what killed him off the first time around, and did his death signal the end for the Mogu domination of Pandaria? What was he trying to achieve with the Serpent’s Spine, was he trying to keep something in, or keep something out?
- What has happened to the Draenei and Blood Elves in the current story? They’ve been rather left by the wayside, but there’s good news for the future.
- Ra-den’s sound file says “Wait, I am not your enemy. […] I do not believe that you can correct this doomed course, but you have earned the right to try” and Wrathion legendary audio shares “‘We have fallen, we must rebuild the final titan. Do not forget.’ It is gone, I do not remember any of it. None of them remember” which rather implies that we might be working with the Titans rather than against them. Dave confirms that this is way more accurate than just random tin-foil hat speculation!
- Dave discusses the new approach to lore, a move away from the cutscene heavy methods of the last expansions, and how it’s working out.
- And, once and for all, where the hell is the seventh Sha?